It is always a hot topic, especially in project management: what is the difference between Output, Outcome and Benefit? Let’s talk about these three things we all hear about everyday.
- The Output (in PM world, the deliverable): that is the thing that is created/delivered with the project
- The Outcome: that is the performance reached using the Output.
- The Benefit: this is actually why we started the project, the reason why we invested time and money on the project.
The definitions can seem a little confusing but actually they are crucial and they help to clarify the accountability of the PM (for the Output) and Sponsor (for the Benefit), if the both actors take their responsibility there will be a win-win situation.
PS: Remember to:
- Subscribe to my blog if you like it
- Comment with your thoughts and opinions
- Add me to your LinkedIn network here.